Log in

20 October 2014 @ 01:46 pm
Shifting Sands- changing software and server  
Hi all, just to let you know there may be some - hopefully- temporary disruptions to OL over the next few days. Dreamhost are shifting servers and so require us to be compliant with new format- which in turn requires us to update the old software we have been using. I am very much hoping for calm seas, but one never knows. If all else fails I will have to call on Jack...

I am sure that those of you who post pics/videos will have your own files, but others might want to make sure they have copies of important things *note to self*

Wish me luck!
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 04:31 pm (UTC)
Good luck! Hope all goes smoothly.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 07:21 pm (UTC)
Thanks :) Unfortunately it seems is rather more complex as we have to upgrade Vbulletin to 3.8.8 in order to be compliant with Dreamhost upgrade to php 5.4. I can't upgrade VBulletin as I think you and Elflady still own it? Anyway have sent a message to her asking for help on- hoping I have her current mobile number! Help appreciated...
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 08:10 pm (UTC)
Oh dear. I think I still own it. Gods, it's been so long, I don't remember much of how to do this excepting that I recall you have to go through all the updates to get 3.8.8 to the current version of vbulletin. I have to see if I can even login into their website. I am pretty certain you have to pay a fee to renew membership in order to download a current version. I do recall it being a rather painful process backing up the database and everything. Ugh! Elflady is out of town on a business trip so she will not have access to her personal computer and I'm not sure when she will be back. I will try to get in touch with her and see what we can do. The only other really technical person is my hubby but he is out of town for business for a few days as well. We definitely want him around for this in case things go south.

Let me try to look into this.

EDIT: Having trouble accessing account. Will contact their support. It looks like $209 to upgrade if I can even get in otherwise may cost $249 but that shouldn't be the case. Will keep you updated.

Edited at 2014-10-20 08:29 pm (UTC)
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 08:32 pm (UTC)
Sorry Serein...I think the update is still free, but that won't be so beyond this one. If there is a fee of course we will see whats to be done about that... Richard did some digging about that but let me know! I do remember it being a bit of a performance in the past.
But yes when I came to log into the Vbulletin members board I remembered that EL said that you were retaining ownership of that bit, so I was to be careful not to do anything too naughty!

Will be here.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 08:36 pm (UTC)
ok, Richard seemed to think that there was a fee like that for version 5 connect, but maybe less for more small updgrade? anyway let me know how it looks and I will speak to the others too. Lot of money if that is the case!
erendira959erendira959 on October 20th, 2014 08:54 pm (UTC)
Wel I'm willing to put some more money in order to keep the board....but this would be only one payment for the upgrade or we'd have to do it every year?
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 09:03 pm (UTC)
don't know yet Lola, hoping Serein can find out whats involved, and then we can go forward. xx
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 09:08 pm (UTC)
It isn't necessary to update every year. This was only necessary because the host is making changes and they are requiring the board be compliant.
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 09:04 pm (UTC)
There is definitely a fee for the upgrade and it takes you through each successive update to get you from where you are to the current version. The cost is $209 for members. Technically we are still members, I would think, even though we never renewed the license. Did I ever send you the login info then? Can you login? I don't remember. I do remember it was kind of painful. Definitely backups were involved and changes with config file.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 09:15 pm (UTC)
No I was never given the log in because you (and EL?) were the owners of the software, and so I guess it wasn't really appropriate? So no I can't log in. but I guess it depends largely if we are still members ie what the cost will be, and whether you and hubby or me and Richard can do the upgrades. Hoping so!
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 20th, 2014 09:17 pm (UTC)
If you are happy for me to have log on to search around, perhaps pm me? x
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 09:49 pm (UTC)
Alright, I finally got access to vbulletin. In order to upgrade to the latest version, the cost is $209. You have to login, place the order then download the upgrade. So, let me know what you want to do.
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 10:24 pm (UTC)
I reread one of your posts and realized you only have to upgrade to 3.8.8 so I am not certain if you can just do that and not have to pay the fee for upgrading to 5 connect. It appears you may be able to download the patch for 3.8.1 without costing anything. That's something.
Sereinserein_03 on October 20th, 2014 09:36 pm (UTC)
That is so weird. Well, I can't even login right now even though I have all the customer info. I have emailed vbulleting to see what's up with my login. It would definitely make more sense to try to renew the membership and get the upgrade. It always did cost something to upgrade, I remember that much. Whenever I hear from them and hopefully have access, I will send you the info. As far as the actual upgrade goes, you can let me know what you want to do. We are happy to help in whatever capacity. If Richard knows what he is doing then that would be extremely helpful. LOL. It always took all three of us to do upgrades to the board.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 05:45 am (UTC)
Thanks Serein X
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 07:38 pm (UTC)
have done some more digging on the Vbulletin site and if ones licence/membership has expired then it is no longer possible to 'rejoin and update to 3.8.8
"When you purchased vBulletin 3.8.X under your owned license it came with one year of updates. After that it would have been $60 for an additional year of updates. Over the last 4 years since we stopped selling vBulletin 3, you would have paid $240.00 for updates. The upgrade license is $209.00 and gives access to all versions of vBulletin."
so essentially we would have to purchase V.5 for $209 and then will have access to 3.8.8
Sereinserein_03 on October 21st, 2014 08:33 pm (UTC)
That is indeed a bummer. Well, vbulletin is largely for high volume and high traffic, which was useful back in the day. I don't know what kind of volume you have nowadays but if you don't want to have to pay that, you could always move to a free board if things have slowed down a bit. Unfortunately, you'd end up losing whatever you have now as I don't believe you'd be able to migrate the database to another board. We weren't able to do that when we moved to vbulletin. I guess the only other option would be to see if your members would be willing to help with the financial cost of upgrading. Luckily, if you do upgrade to 5, you probably wouldn't have to upgrade for a very long time.
Nazz88: Icon15nazz88 on October 21st, 2014 08:46 pm (UTC)

Instead of loosing everything, which means loosing the board as it is now (*heart-attack*) and start from scrab, I'm willing to pay a good amount of the sum for upgrading.
And I'm sure there are many members who are willing to help too. No matter if bigger or smaller amount.
I think we should start a survey in the members Only section for that.

How much time do we have before we have to decide?
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:08 pm (UTC)
Well thats seems like the most straight forward approach - hahaah- if it works that is! We have to decide quickly and do the upgrade and THEN upgrade at Dreamhost. We have to have done that by the 3rd November.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:10 pm (UTC)
Perhaps rather than a survey we just need to raise the cash between us and do it, then do an 'ask ' to members to reclaim some. I'd like to get the upgrade to V5 if that is the decision done this weekend
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:12 pm (UTC)
Serein is right though- in reality the activity on the board is perhaps not justifying the powerful software honestly, but I leave that decision to those of you who are still active in it. I am willing to cover the initial cost and contribute some but would need a whole bunch back
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 09:27 pm (UTC)
Yes, the activity on the board is not as it used to be. But I guess it is still quite high and does justify powerful software. ... and hey - more power to us!

I'm in - joining in raising the cash and giving you a chunk back, I mean.

The board is just too important for me.
And I'm sure there are a few others which feel the same and willing to do the same.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:27 pm (UTC)
I should add that whilst the date for changing to Dreamhost compliancy is 3rd November, that doesn't mean that all the site will be lost then if we haven't completed the process, it just means the site will not be accessible until we fix it...just in case people are worried!
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 09:42 pm (UTC)
I just did the conversion - 209 $ is about 164 € - which seems pretty fair to me.

If the technical stuff can be managed, I'd say: Go for it.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 09:59 pm (UTC)
I agree with Naz, I think we can raise that amount amongst us.
If I understand correctly, next year it would then just be the hosting.. and what if there are updates needed?

The activity now is just a fraction of what it was and therefore the consideration of started a new, at a free board is a very real one- and not a bad one either, for what we need now.

But I do feel the majority of us long-time members is not willing to give the entire board up as it is now..

Activity will never become that much again, I sincerely doubt that, so we have to ask ourselves what we are willing to invest in the next years, if more costs are involved.

Edited at 2014-10-21 10:00 pm (UTC)
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 10:14 pm (UTC)
"Luckily, if you do upgrade to 5, you probably wouldn't have to upgrade for a very long time." (Serein)

So from that I guess it's a singular payment, not something we have to pay every year for upgrading. The future is another thing, we can decide then, when it arises.

And no, I for one am not easily giving up the old board.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 10:36 pm (UTC)
Yeah that would be really great, we do however need to have a good view of the costs, because if more of the die-hards 'abandon', there is very few people left who actually are willing to make that commitement.
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 10:41 pm (UTC)
Yeah, in that case.

But that's a future thing, we have to decide now, resp. within a few days.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 10:45 pm (UTC)
If the technical bit can be figured out with the host maybe even with help of the previous owners, then I think Olove as it is should be saved
erendira959erendira959 on October 21st, 2014 09:57 pm (UTC)
Ok so how much is the fee...209$ or 249$ ? anyway,Gem Naz and myself are willing to pay and surely Tonny and Carola(now she has not internet until the end of the month,but I'm sure she's puting the money the moment she knows)so it wouldn't be that much for any of us,I can pay aquarter of the total,so if all of us contribute,money is not the real problem.The thecnical part is what worries me more...I so wish I could help in that,but I can't,so DO whatever you think is easier...
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 22nd, 2014 06:38 am (UTC)
$209 I think. Ok then good :)