?

Log in

 
 
20 October 2014 @ 01:46 pm
Shifting Sands- changing software and server  
Hi all, just to let you know there may be some - hopefully- temporary disruptions to OL over the next few days. Dreamhost are shifting servers and so require us to be compliant with new format- which in turn requires us to update the old software we have been using. I am very much hoping for calm seas, but one never knows. If all else fails I will have to call on Jack...

I am sure that those of you who post pics/videos will have your own files, but others might want to make sure they have copies of important things *note to self*

Wish me luck!
 
 
 
Sereinserein_03 on October 21st, 2014 08:33 pm (UTC)
That is indeed a bummer. Well, vbulletin is largely for high volume and high traffic, which was useful back in the day. I don't know what kind of volume you have nowadays but if you don't want to have to pay that, you could always move to a free board if things have slowed down a bit. Unfortunately, you'd end up losing whatever you have now as I don't believe you'd be able to migrate the database to another board. We weren't able to do that when we moved to vbulletin. I guess the only other option would be to see if your members would be willing to help with the financial cost of upgrading. Luckily, if you do upgrade to 5, you probably wouldn't have to upgrade for a very long time.
Nazz88: Icon15nazz88 on October 21st, 2014 08:46 pm (UTC)
:(

Instead of loosing everything, which means loosing the board as it is now (*heart-attack*) and start from scrab, I'm willing to pay a good amount of the sum for upgrading.
And I'm sure there are many members who are willing to help too. No matter if bigger or smaller amount.
I think we should start a survey in the members Only section for that.

How much time do we have before we have to decide?
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:08 pm (UTC)
Well thats seems like the most straight forward approach - hahaah- if it works that is! We have to decide quickly and do the upgrade and THEN upgrade at Dreamhost. We have to have done that by the 3rd November.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:10 pm (UTC)
Perhaps rather than a survey we just need to raise the cash between us and do it, then do an 'ask ' to members to reclaim some. I'd like to get the upgrade to V5 if that is the decision done this weekend
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:12 pm (UTC)
Serein is right though- in reality the activity on the board is perhaps not justifying the powerful software honestly, but I leave that decision to those of you who are still active in it. I am willing to cover the initial cost and contribute some but would need a whole bunch back
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 09:27 pm (UTC)
Yes, the activity on the board is not as it used to be. But I guess it is still quite high and does justify powerful software. ... and hey - more power to us!

I'm in - joining in raising the cash and giving you a chunk back, I mean.

The board is just too important for me.
And I'm sure there are a few others which feel the same and willing to do the same.
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 21st, 2014 09:27 pm (UTC)
I should add that whilst the date for changing to Dreamhost compliancy is 3rd November, that doesn't mean that all the site will be lost then if we haven't completed the process, it just means the site will not be accessible until we fix it...just in case people are worried!
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 09:42 pm (UTC)
I just did the conversion - 209 $ is about 164 € - which seems pretty fair to me.

If the technical stuff can be managed, I'd say: Go for it.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 09:59 pm (UTC)
I agree with Naz, I think we can raise that amount amongst us.
If I understand correctly, next year it would then just be the hosting.. and what if there are updates needed?

The activity now is just a fraction of what it was and therefore the consideration of started a new, at a free board is a very real one- and not a bad one either, for what we need now.

But I do feel the majority of us long-time members is not willing to give the entire board up as it is now..

Activity will never become that much again, I sincerely doubt that, so we have to ask ourselves what we are willing to invest in the next years, if more costs are involved.



Edited at 2014-10-21 10:00 pm (UTC)
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 10:14 pm (UTC)
"Luckily, if you do upgrade to 5, you probably wouldn't have to upgrade for a very long time." (Serein)

So from that I guess it's a singular payment, not something we have to pay every year for upgrading. The future is another thing, we can decide then, when it arises.

And no, I for one am not easily giving up the old board.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 10:36 pm (UTC)
Yeah that would be really great, we do however need to have a good view of the costs, because if more of the die-hards 'abandon', there is very few people left who actually are willing to make that commitement.
Nazz88: coolcatnazz88 on October 21st, 2014 10:41 pm (UTC)
Yeah, in that case.

But that's a future thing, we have to decide now, resp. within a few days.
Tonnyandnolewen on October 21st, 2014 10:45 pm (UTC)
If the technical bit can be figured out with the host maybe even with help of the previous owners, then I think Olove as it is should be saved
erendira959erendira959 on October 21st, 2014 09:57 pm (UTC)
Ok so how much is the fee...209$ or 249$ ? anyway,Gem Naz and myself are willing to pay and surely Tonny and Carola(now she has not internet until the end of the month,but I'm sure she's puting the money the moment she knows)so it wouldn't be that much for any of us,I can pay aquarter of the total,so if all of us contribute,money is not the real problem.The thecnical part is what worries me more...I so wish I could help in that,but I can't,so DO whatever you think is easier...
nuit2005nuit2005 on October 22nd, 2014 06:38 am (UTC)
$209 I think. Ok then good :)